Thingvellir

This is a place where people from all over the world can come to discuss, and perhaps clarify for others and themselves, their opinions on any subject whatsoever, from global to personal. Essentially, a modern "Althing". It is my sincere, and idealistic hope, that one day this will evolve to actually provide worldwide, tangible positive benefits to it's participants.

My Photo
Name:
Location: North Carolina, United States

"Damn, It's Just Toilet Paper..."

Want to be a content contributor?

Friday, September 30, 2005

Happy Birthday Granddad!

Today is my granddad's birthday. Happy Birthday Ben Lewallen. If he were still with me, he'd be 84 years old today. He stepped up to the plate and served as a role model and father figure to me when my own father proved lacking at the task. My step-dad, who is also a tremendously great role model, unfortunately didn't arrive on the scene until I was 15 years old, so there were many years that needed filling with a positive male role model. I owe much of who I am today to my mom, my step-dad, and my maternal grandparents. Granddad was a great role-model. He was a WWII veteran, having served with the 8th Air Force, 453rd Bomb Group, 734th Bomb Squadron at Old Buckenham, England. He served as a Technical Sergeant on Edward Traylor's B-24 Liberator and they flew 35 heavy bombardment sorties. Not an easy task for anyone who knows their WWII history, and it took it's toll on him. After WWII, he worked as a fireman for the city of High Point, NC and eventually retired from that job as their chief mechanic. I was very fortunate to need Ben's services as a father figure and role model in his later life, after he had matured and learned much from his many life experiences. Grandparents can be tremendously positive role models in the lives of their families and have a huge impact on not only their grandkids, but the entire future of their bloodlines.

Happy Birthday Granddad! You will never be forgotten and you will always be loved. I look forward to seeing you again someday when my time on this earth runs out as well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home